What is a Car Trial?

Taking place on private land, Car Trials usually cover challenging terrain, with hills, mud, or other obstacles. The courses are marked out with coloured markers or canes, and the aim is to get from the start line to the finish line without stopping.

Speeds are low and there is no time limit, but momentum must be maintained in a forward motion in the direction of the course.

Planning your approach to each section is key, as is technique, but some Car Trials allow support from a bouncer – a passenger who can bounce the car up and down to help the car gain traction.

How to take part in a Car Trial

There are a number of clubs across the UK organising regular Car Trials that are open to newcomers. Events are run by local volunteers, with rules and regulations determined by Motorsport UK, the governing body, to provide safe, fair and fun competition.

To find a club or an event near you, or to volunteer to support your local Trials events, register here and a member of our team will be in touch to match you with a StreetCar-accredited club.


For a Car Trial, no special equipment is needed, though there are some regulations for the car that is entered. The car should have good tyres, ground clearance and turning circle. Local car trial clubs are always looking for people to passenger on events.

You do not need a driving licence, provided someone else is driving the car to and from the event, as such drivers can be as young as 14. If the driver does not have a licence, they must be accompanied by a passenger who holds a full driver’s licence and has experience in Car Trials or Sporting Trials.

The car must have:

  • Two-wheel drive only vehicle
  • A non-torque biasing differential (i.e., limited slip differential is not allowed), unless the vehicle is restricted to running in a nominated class or formula

Please note, this is only a summary of key points. Your club will be able to provide further guidance.

You will need:

  • A Club membership
  • Your entry fee
  • An RS Clubman licence from Motorsport UK

Ready to take your car off-road?

Register your interest and our team will be in touch to
match you with a club.

Get Started
Subscribe to the StreetCar newsletter Keep up to date with news, events, and stories from across the community.

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.
Facebook Logo